Five simple methods for linking your NIN to your MTN sim card
This is how you can unlock your MTN sim card with your national identification number in Nigeria.
As the Nigeria federal government has instructed all the telecommunication companies in Nigeria to block all sim cards that are not linked with a valid NIN, the only solution to follow in order to unblock your sim card in Nigeria now is to obtain a valid NIN and link it with your SIM card.
For MTN subscribers, in this blog post, I will be showing you the procedure to follow in order to link your NIN to your MTN sim card and get your sim unlocked again.
Please endeavor to read every part of this blog post as all the information provided here will be very helpful to anyone whose MTN sim card got blocked due to the issue of NIN to MTN linking.
How to obtain a valid NIN in Nigeria.
If you’re yet to get your national identification number in Nigeria, below are some easy ways you can follow and obtain your own NIN.
- 1. For those that don’t have NIN at all, click here to get started with your NIN online registration. www.gov.Nimc.com
- 2. If you have a national identification number but have forgotten the eleven digit number, dial this USSD code “*346#” using the SIM card you used when enrolling for NIN.
- 3. If you have a bank verification number BVN, dial this USSD code *346# with the SIM card you used to obtain your BVN to retrieve your BVN generated NIN.
Once you have a BVN, a valid NIN will be created for you through BVN and NIN harmonisation.
Now that you have your eleven-digit NIN number, check below to see how you can link NIN to your MTN line.
How to link NIN to an MTN sim card
If you want to link your national identification number with your MTN sim card, there are five available methods for you.
Following the right procedure with any of these five methods, you can easily link your MTN sim card to your NIN.
Check below as I will be explaining the five methods to you below.
Link your MTN sim card to your NIN using the USSD code.
This is the fastest method among the five.
You can link your MTN sim card to your NIN using this USSD code *785#.
Check below for a guide on how to go about it.
To link an NIN to an MTN sim card via USSD code, a procedure must be followed.
- Open your phone dialer.
- Press the code *785# and send it using your MTN sim card that you want to link with NIN.
- Enter your eleven-digit NIN in the space provided for you.
- Your NIN will be automatically linked with your MTN sim card.
This is the easiest way you can follow in order to link your MTN sim card with NIN.
If you tried this method and you’re finding it difficult to link the sim with the NIN, check below for other available solutions.
Link NIN to your MTN sim card using SMS method
You can also link your NIN to your sim card using the SMS method. Check below for a guide on how to go about this.
Below is a procedure to follow in order to link your MTN sim card to your NIN through the SMS method.
- Open your phone’s messaging app.
- Click on the start chart
- Choose 785 as the recipient and send your eleven-digit NIN number to 785, using the Sim card that you want to link with NIN.
- You will receive a confirmation message that your SIM card has been successfully linked with a NIN.
In case you don’t know how to arrange the messages, check below for a clear explanation.
Write your NIN in capital letters, then give a little space before writing your NIN number.
e.g. if your eleven-digit NIN number is 12345678910, your message should look like this: “NIN 12345678910”. As a result, caution should be exercised to avoid selecting the incorrect parameters.
Link your NIN to your MTN sim card online through the MTN website.
If the two methods listed for you above did not work, you can link your NIN to your MTN sim card on MTN’s official website.
For those whose phones can’t send SMS due to this issue of SIM card to NIN linking, this is the best option for you.
Below are the procedures to follow.
- Open your phone browser app.
- Visit nin.mtn.com
- Enter your MTN phone number.
- Wait a few seconds for the OTP.
- Your phone number will be linked to your MTN sim card automatically.
Link your MTN sim card to NIN through WhatsApp.
MTN made it easy for their subscribers to link their SIM cards to NIN through WhatsApp. Below are the steps to follow in order to link an MTN SIM card to NIN through WhatsApp.
- Open your WhatsApp message app.
- To start a new chart
- Choose (+234 903 300 0001) as the receiver and
- send your phone number and your NIN number to MTN through their WhatsApp line “+234 903 300 0001”
- Answer the verification queries from the customer service agent and get your MTN linked with your national identification number.
Let’s look at the last option below.
link NIN to MTN sim through my MTN app and Nimc mobile app.
You can link your NIN to an MTN sim card using either the MTN app or the Nimc mobile app.
To link your NIN to your sim card using this method, download any of these apps and verify the ownership of the NIN. There will be a space for you to link your NIN with your sim card.
By looking at these five easy methods, you can see that it is very easy to get your MTN sim card unlocked by linking it with NINJA.
You can try any of these methods listed for you above to get your MTN sim card linked with your national identification number.
How to validate your NIN.
Some people are yet to link their NIN to their MTN sim card due to the issue of invalid NIN.
If you’re among those with an invalid NIN, below are the procedures to follow in order to validate it and link the number with your MTN sim card.
In case you don’t know the reason your NIN is invalid, it is because of incomplete registration for BVN generated NIN.
If you generated your NIN through BVN, it will be invalid until you validate it in the Nimc office or on your phone.
How to validate NIN online or offline.
- You can validate your NIN both offline or online. To do this online, you have to download the Nimc mobile app and verify the ownership of the NIN.
You can easily get this done in a Nimc office. Visit any Nimc office in your area and request for NIN validation.
This service normally has a service fee of around 500, but in some branches it may be double this amount.
This is all about linking your MTN sim card with your NIN. If you have any questions concerning this topic, you can ask your questions using the comment section below.